|Type||Converter Tool, Transcoder Software|
|Latest Version||1.2.0 (Windows 64-bit)|
|License||Free and Open Source|
|Operating System||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Features||High Quality Conversions, Simple, Easy, Fast|
Handbrake is a free and open source transcoder to convert and compress video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. It is Multi-Platform, can be used on Windows, Mac and Linux. It uses third-party libraries such as FFmpeg, libvpx, and x265. It is a high quality video converter, simple, easy, and fast. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve your encodes. It can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
Handbrake is Built-in Device Presets, Get started in seconds by choosing a profile optimized for your device, or choose a universal profile for standard or high quality conversions. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve your encodes. It transcodes video and audio from nearly any format to a handful of modern ones. Users are able to customize the output by altering the bit rate, maximum file size or bit rate and sample rate via “constant quality”. It also supports deinterlacing, decombing, scaling, detelecine, and cropping (both automatic and manual). Outputs and Features:
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV.
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora.
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis.
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks.
- Title / chapter and range selection
- Batch Scan and Queueing of encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average Bitrate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR and CFR
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Denoise, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling
- Live Static and Video Preview
Most of HandBrake’s source code is covered by the GNU General Public License, version 2. A copy of which is included with every release in the COPYING file. Portions are covered under BSD 3 Clause. Some GPUs or APUs contain SIP blocks dedicated to do calculations for video encoding (e.g., Quick Sync Video or Video Coding Engine). Such solutions are limited to a very few video codecs. When used, they are very fast but don’t necessarily match the quality of good software encoders.